Get thee behind me

Get thee behind me
Capital Hill Classic, 2009

Roger Bannister, 1954:

"Before now it would have been impossible for me to attempt to write about running, but now I can see a pattern of striving -- of success and failure -- which I hope will grow clearer."



Roger Bannister, after breaking the four-minute mile.



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Reading about running

   As a writer who runs, I've done a fair amount of reading about writing. Hearwith, a review of some of the things I've read in the last year or so.
  
   First, let's start reading where I did: Runner's World magazine.

   I picked up RW in a store a couple of years, knowing that if I bought it I'd probably subscribe. And I ended up mailing back the card the next day. It's got nice features. "I'm A Runner," a Q & A style interview with a (sometimes) famous person (sometimes I've never heard of 'em) is usually interesting. This month it's Al Roker, the dude Jerry Seinfeld once called a "chubby weather man." (or was that Mark McEwen?) Anyway, Al's not so chubby these days. All that running.

   RW is always entertaining, but does become a bit repetitive when you read it each month. "Run your best marathon," one edition will announce. The next month zeros in on "Tips for a 10K." Rest assured the next two will feature 5Ks and half-marathons, before the cycle starts all over again.

   It's also funny when the magazine offers contradictory advice. One month will explain the benefits of stretching, a few months later it'll say that stretching is overrated.

   Sometimes the contradictions appear within the same issue. Nov. 2011, page 28: "you can't run long runs slow enough! Running slow and taking frequent walk breaks will help minimize fatigue and hasten your recovery." Page 45: "Your immune system favors short, hard runs over long, slow ones." So, which is it? Run long & slow, or short & hard? The answer: It's up to you.

   And that's the best way to look at it. I read RW, I enjoy the tips, but I only use the ones that work for me. I eat what I want, not the almond milk & tofu that are often on the RW menus. I stretch before and after I run, but using the static stretching that RW has frowned upon. Hey, I've been doing this for several years and haven't gotten hurt, so something is working.

   In short: I like RW, but don't swear by it. Next time: Books about running.

No comments:

Post a Comment