Get thee behind me

Get thee behind me
Capital Hill Classic, 2009

Roger Bannister, 1954:

"Before now it would have been impossible for me to attempt to write about running, but now I can see a pattern of striving -- of success and failure -- which I hope will grow clearer."



Roger Bannister, after breaking the four-minute mile.



Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sound? Or Silence?

   When I first started running a couple of years ago, I thought I needed music to do so. I bought a cheap MP3 player, uploaded Katy Perry, and away I went. Nothing gets me running like "Hot & Cold."

   Along the way I uploaded hundreds of songs from old CDs and so forth. For a year or so I ran with music all the time. But by the time I added a "music?" yes/no to my 2010 running spreadsheet (do you keep a spreadsheet of your runs/times/weather conditions, or am I the only one who's that obsessive?) I had stopped listening most of the time.

   Why? I don't remember. I think I forgot the MP3 one time, or it had a dead battery, or something. And once I was out of the habit, I guess I found I enjoyed running in silence. Looking over my 2011 spreadsheet, I realize I haven't run WITH music since June.

   I was thinking of this today whilst running on the trail, because it was pretty quiet, except when I crossed the Beltway or I-66. It reminded me how quiet yesterday was on the trail at 6:45, and how loud it was in D.C. at 7:45. There's plenty of noise in the city without adding any of my own.

   In any event, even when I do run with music, I only wear a headphone in one ear. I like to have the other ear clear to hear traffic, cyclists (those that bother to warn they're coming up behind me) and so forth. I'm going to do a short run on Sunday. Maybe I'll wear the MP3 player just to see how doing so changes my approach.

1 comment:

  1. I've had mixed experiences on this. As I'll discuss later, running does not come naturally to me - my mind tends to torment me on longer runs, tries to tempt me to stop early. So, I find I need to listen to something mostly to distract me from thinking about running.

    I started out with music, but as I trained for the marathon I found that music tended to accelerate my pace, leaving me hurting toward the end of my long runs. As I worked toward the longest runs I switched to podcasts for the early parts of the run and music late. Turns out Car Talk and This American Life could keep me distracted from thinking about how I felt for 2-3 hours, and then music could lift my mood for a while. Still, even then, I'd often just crave silence after a while.

    Music was very important to me on my marathon race day, but I'll get into that later...

    ReplyDelete